Dr. Michael Gray has been the senior pastor at CHBC since January 1998. He grew up in a preacher’s home, where he saw the dedication and faithfulness of parents who loved the Word and lived it daily. They gave him a love of history and instilled in their son a passion for the Word of God.
During his senior year of high school, while on a mission trip to New York City, he surrendered his life to full-time ministry. After graduating from college, he ministered in Lakeland, FL as a teacher, youth pastor, and music director.
Michael then had the opportunity to serve as Associate Pastor with his father at Grace Baptist Church in Pelzer, SC for six years. Additionally, he went on to earn an M.A. degree in Church History, and an S.Min. (Specialist in Ministry) degree from Bob Jones University. In 2014, he completed his Doctorate of Ministry in residence at Grace Theological Seminary in Winona Lake, IN.
He married his wife Kellie in 1985 and they have three grown children, two daughters-in-law, four adorable granddaughters, and a grandson. Pastor Gray's personal interests are wide-ranging and eclectic--he has collected nearly 3000 classical music recordings, enjoys reading theology and history, is an avid college football fan, and is happy discussing golf, fishing and NASCAR.
The History of Colonial Hills Baptist Church
Oh that men would praise the LORD for His goodness,
and for His wonderful works to the children of men.
The Founding of CHBC: 1964
“Where God leads, God provides!”
That all the people of the earth might know the hand of the LORD, that it is mighty:
that ye might fear the LORD your God for ever.
Since its founding in 1964, Colonial Hills Baptist Church has stood as a lighthouse
for those searching for truth and a welcome refuge to believers in Christ.
Pastor Sam Staggs had a burden to begin a Bible-believing church in the
Greenville area of South Carolina. Coming from Phoenix, Arizona with his family just
the year before, the Lord guided Pastor Staggs to a piece of property on Taylors
Road in the small town of Taylors in the Greenville area. The church began meeting on June 28, 1964 in an old house. On November 10th of that year, fifteen original members of Colonial Hills Baptist Church met on four acres of land that had once been part of the original two hundred fifty-acre Hammett Estate. One year later, the charter members financially funded the building of what continues to be the main structure of CHBC. Pastor Staggs resigned as pastor of CHBC in 1985. The Lord was calling him back to Arizona to the Regeneration Reservation and work with Native Americans.
Colonial Hills Baptist Church & The Academy of Arts: 1985
Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it.”
In 1985, Dr. Nicky Chavers became the second pastor of Colonial Hills Baptist
Church. He pastored the church from 1985-1998. Colonial Hills Christian School (founded in 1972) became “The Academy of Arts” and “The Kiddie Academy”. The school trained students to perform dramas as a means of communicating biblical truths. In 1998, Dr. Chavers felt God wanted him to serve full-time with The Academy of Arts. The Academy of Arts moved to a new location on Main Street in Taylors.
Colonial Hills Baptist Church & Growth: 1998-Present
“Knowing Christ and Making Him Known!”
Our pastor, Dr. Michael Gray and his wife, Kellie, met on the campus of Bob
Jones University and were married in 1985. After Dr. Gray graduated from BJU,
God led him and Kellie to work in the ministry of Temple Baptist Church in
Lakeland, FL. After five years, God led them with their young son Brian back to
Greenville to complete a master’s degree in church history at Bob Jones University.
During those years of work and study at Bob Jones, God blessed Michael and Kellie
with two more children, Bradley and Bethany. Dr. Gray was open to whatever God wanted him to do once he completed his degree, but he believed he would
eventually leave Greenville again to teach. However, God had a different plan. The
interim pastor of CHBC at the time, Pastor Jack Tillman, spoke to Dr. Gray about CHBC, and Dr. Gray agreed to come to candidate for the office of pastor of Colonial Hills. After meeting with the pulpit committee twice and preaching at the church, Dr. Gray was voted in as the new pastor of CHBC in December 1997. He began to serve as pastor in January, 1998 and began to serve full-time in May, 1998 after finishing his master’s degree at BJU.
A significant milestone in Pastor Gray’s life came about on May 10, 2014 when he earned his Doctor of Ministry Degree from Grace Theological Seminary in Winona Lake, Indiana.
“To God be the glory!”
Colonial Hills Baptist Church: a nice place to visit…a great place to belong!
Proclaiming – Growing – Serving
What We Believe
- CHBC believes in the fundamental doctrines of the Christian Faith:
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired Word of God and the final authority for all mankind. (John 17:17; II Timothy. 3:16-17; II Peter 1:20-21).
- We believe in the virgin birth of Jesus Christ, the Son of God, Who came to the earth to die for the sins of all mankind (Isaiah 7:14; 9:6; Matthew 1:18-21; Luke 2:1-14; Matthew 3:17; Matthew 16:16; Matthew 17:5; Galatians 4:4-5; Philippians 2:5-11; I John 4:14).
- We believe in the vicarious (substitutionary) death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ (John 3:16; I Corinthians. 15:1-9; II Corinthians. 5:21).
- We believe salvation is by grace through faith in Jesus Christ alone (John 3:16: Romans 4:5; Romans 10:9-10, 13; Ephesians 2:8-9; Titus 3:5).
- We believe in the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit Who fills and leads us in the way of truth (Romans 8:14-16; I Corinthians 6:19-20; Ephesians 5:18).
- We believe in the imminent return of Jesus Christ for His bride, the Church (Ephesians 5:25-27; I Thessalonians 4:13-18; Titus 2:13; Revelation 22:20).
- We believe it is the responsibility of each believer to live holy and godly in this world in the power of the Holy Spirit to the glory of God (Romans 12:1-2; I Corinthians 10:31; Ephesians 4:1-3; 4:22-24; 5:18; Colossians 3:1-14; Titus 2:12; I John 2:15-17).
- We sing the traditional Gospel songs and hymns of the faith that communicate the truths of Scripture for the purpose of proclaiming the Gospel and edifying the body of Christ (I Corinthians 10:31; Ephesian 5:19; Colossians 3:16). (Click here to read more about the CHBC music ministry.)
- We are missions and outreach minded. We support financially and prayerfully several families and individuals serving all over the world. Also, we encourage our CHBC family to share the Gospel with family, friends, and neighbors (Matthew 28:19-20; Mark 16:15-16; John 20:21; Acts 1:8).
Our Key Verse
O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together.
Knowing Christ and Making Him Known.
Colonial Hills Baptist Church is a nice place to visit…a great place to belong!